Dmitry Maslof / #435

Comments

• I don't know why I overlooked Maslof until today, but my god, this photographer is really something else.
    It's not the models, it's his eye for scenery, almost surreal. Sun bleached wood, rocks, caves, sand, water, salt lake, skies, even fire and scorched wheat fields. Not arteficial, but just as you find it out there, in context, color, light, shadow, reflection, contrast. You just have to see it, and Maslof does.
    Not met-art, just Art. Highly recommended.

Btw: aka 'D. Maslof' and 'Maslof'.

• There is indeed the issue as to whether this Maslof is the same photographer as Zemani's Maslov, and/or Andrey Razin, Andre L, Andre Le Favori, and Alex Baker.
    On first glance, the photographical style has strong simularities (low depth of field, use of 'rule of thirds', low F-values, same kind of use of scenery, or even same location of shoots), but I'll have to get hold of the full Zemani sets first. That'll be no problem, so I'll get back on it.

• The issue I mentioned earlier on MA's Maslof possibly being the same as Zemani's Maslov (and all other Zemani related aka's) is in fact a non-issue. Having screened all relevant Zemani sets, I've noticed distinct differences, although there are many simularities as well.
    However, MA's Maslof is way more extreme, honest, and consistent in both his photographical style and his artistic approach than the Zemani photographers, imho. I may pinpoint the style details here, but I guess that would be overdone on this occasion. Most evident differences may be found in the videos. MA's Maslof video style and editing is far more subtle and personal than any Zemani vid I've seen thus far.
    So, for what it's worth, my conclusion is that Maslof here in Maslof, and Zemani is Zemani. Enough said, for now.

• Could be Cloud & Dmitri Maslof the same photographer?