Natalia A / ICGID: NA-83YR / #6595

Comments

• As often, blue parrot is the voice of reason. 10 different values are too much and useless. People use 8, 9, or 10 when they like, but 1 when they don't. So, in this system, a negative vote has 3 to 4 times the weight of a positive one.

A solution: uses only 1, 2, 3, or 4 stars, but when the average is computed, adds 6 to the rating: * -> 7, ** -> 8, *** -> 9, **** -> 10

With the actual system: (8 x 3 + 1) / 4 = 6.25, or a loss of 1.75 with only 1 negative rating. With 3 more 8, the mean is still rather low: (8 x 6 + 1) / 7 = 7.0, or a loss of 1.0.

With my proposition, (*** x 3 + *) -> (9 x 3 + 7) / 4 = 8.5, or a loss of only 0.5.

With a 3 more ***, the mean is (9 x 6 + 7) / 7 = 8.7. It's still a hard stroke but psychologically more acceptable.

And for the ranking, I think you should add dummy votes, not a threshold.

That said, if I were you, I would use a thumb up, with no negative rating possible. Just a way to say: hey this cover is really great. It's enough.

Also, for this and for the vote for the models, I suggest that you accept only one vote per day for a domain (192.0.1.xxx)

• DeepBlueGaze - as I said to blue parrot, can we leave it for a bit and see what happens over time? (:R

• At risk of changing the discussion to a more serious topic .... Has Natalia retired as a model? It's been over nine months since she had a new update set. She began appearing over four years ago, and four or five years is frequently as long as a girl models.

• Just passing by, no intent to start flame wars (especially that I don't care about all the cover voting). But I just couldn't resist saying that DeepBlueGaze's maths is kinda wrong. :D

No matter how many variants of vote you have, the "offset from 0" (1 2 3 4 vs. 7 8 9 10) doesn't matter really. The arithmetic average doesn't work that way - for 1 1 4 4 (2 great 2 awful), for example, you'll get 2.5; for 7 7 10 10 (the same!) you'll get 8.5 (the same!) - the offset is in every number so it doesn't anyhow affect the "weight" of good or bad marks.

If you want to shift balance in arithmetic average, use different intervals between numbers - like 0 4 7 9 10, as an example (but "label" them as 1 2 3 4 5, awful-bad-average-good-great). This way, even "medium" votes tend to weight towards "good" rating.

• For a site about covers, cover voting makes sense. I have no idea what the best voting system would be. What I like most about the current system is that it often gives us new covers to look at.

The site has over 148000 covers. There's no way I'll ever see them all. The voting system gives other visitors a chance to find covers they like and get them into the top ten for a time. I may not find most very interesting - tastes differ. But I've seen many very nice covers come into the top ten (and most then go). This way I get a chance to find new photographers or models I might want to learn more about. I might also be reminded of the talents of an "old" photographer I've come to take for granted.

Whatever happens with the cover voting in the future, I hope it continues to be fairly easy for visitors to submit covers they like.

• am4getful - thanks, that's the idea we had. The models have taken over the site when the covers are the real focus. In the pipeline for the covers: a tagging system and a tag cloud. (:R

• With many point, I agree with am4getful. I hope main purpose of cover-rating to be browsing convenience and fun, not for awarding. Most disappointing thing is only top 10 covers are showed. Very few opportunity to discover good cover. I think all rated covers browsable style is good, like cover search results. Then some sorting order selectable, total votes, latest voted, weighted average, and rating (raw average) as just one of them. Then tags, sites, release dates, appliable as filter.

I read a complain about right side Covers Top 10. Since appearing covers tend to get negative votes and pulled down, not to shown this area voting favorite covers lower. I also doing similar. IMO, just showing latest voted covers would be good.

Results of Top 10 voted covers February is annoying. Top 1 to 3 are all rated 10.0 . Probably short time of end of month, some people voted once. I worry this may giving motivation to cheaters. Top 10 covers March may all 10.0 . With voting, removing all cheating or mal-voting is impossible. But reducing design is available, current design needs much improvement.

I'm a staff, but not taking part with site implementation. Sorry I may be irresponsible, but as a user I'm writing. BTW, this is off-topic of Natalia A, discussion board for entire site would be useful.

• Not retired! New set @ Met-Art today.

She's now 30, and still looking 20.

• All Time Top Ten Models

1. Natalia A (34540)

2. Sabrina D (33353)

3. Kocsis Orsi (31804)

4. Valentine A (30026)

5. Jenya D (29780)

6. Iveta B (26355)

7. Indiana A (25978)

8. Loreen A (23876)

9. Leila A (23660)